[mythtv-users] Bug in Mythbackend

Peter Diffey pedro at heroic.co.uk
Sat Mar 25 20:04:52 UTC 2006

Hi,

I am pretty sure that there is a bug in mythbackend. It may already be
known so I report it  here before filing a bug report.

[root at myth2 mythcontrol]# uname -a
Linux myth2 2.6.15-1.1831_FC4 #1 Tue Feb 7 13:37:42 EST 2006 i686 i686
i386 GNU/Linux

[root at myth2 mythcontrol]# mythbackend --version
Library API version: 0.19.20060121-2

My backend runs on a separate box to the frontend.

If the frontend dies for any reason, the TCP sockets on mythbackend
never time out, I am left with legacy sockets that will stay there as
long as the mythbackend process continues to run. The consequence is
that the currently watched program  ( at the time of the crash ) holds
on to the channel card forever, and when a new frontend is started, the
user cannot watch live TV as the channel card is in use.

[root at myth2 mythcontrol]# netstat | grep 6543
tcp        0      0 192.168.1.3:6543
192.168.1.125:39247         ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 192.168.1.3:6543
192.168.1.125:39246         ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 192.168.1.3:6543
192.168.1.125:45842         ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 192.168.1.3:6543
192.168.1.125:45841         ESTABLISHED

I have tried modifying my tcp keep alives, but it appears that
mythbackend does not monitor the connection status.

To overcome this problem mythbackend should use tcp_keepalive to check
the status of any clients, and close down the session if the frontend
goes away.

Aln alternative approach may be to have mythbackend destroy any old
associations with a frontend, if the same frontend makes a new session
request.

Peter Diffey
St Albans, UK