[mythtv-users] OT: Booting Hard Drive-less Machine

Sasha Z kleptophobiac at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 02:49:25 UTC 2006

I use pxelinux and a dhcpd setup to netboot one of my machines. It
mounts root via NFS from my fileserver. It was a total walk in the
park to setup.

First, i installed my favorite distro on a computer with a hard drive
(for simplicity's sake). Then I copied over the contents of the hard
drive to the file server's nfs share. Then I edited fstab to reflect
the new filesystem mounts. I copied over my kernel file to the tftp
server, copied over the pxelinux configuration and .0 files, setup the
dhcp server to point to the tftp server as per the directions on the
pxelinux website, and all just worked. It was remarkably painless. I
used a monolithic kernel with all the hardware support I needed but
nothing more. The kernel had several options set, like dhcp at boot,
nfs root at boot, and something else I can't remember. I haven't
touched it since 2.6.7.

I am, however, preparing a new frontend, so I'll be going through this
all over again. This time I may keep notes.

I love the diskless client. The boot time isn't much slower than a
hard drive based system, and way faster than a CD based system. It is
totally silent. It has the added benefit of allowing me to pretend I'm
on that computer with chroot from the file server for easy updates.
You can even share one nfs root between several frontends with
different home directory mounts for each.