[mythtv-users] knoppmyth or mythdora

Andrew Lynch lynchaj at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 24 12:21:43 UTC 2006

Cecil wrote:

[snip]

The idea behind KnoppMyth is to simply get a Linux
powered, MythTV based set-top box running in a quick
and easy manner. Some people have stated that
KnoppMyth is made for the newbie. Well, it isnt. Why
spend hours compiling packages, etc., when all you
want is to enjoy TV and multimedia (simply my view,
compile away to your hearts content)?

While we do try to make things simply and try to
include support for as much hardware as we can, one
still needs Linux skills (if not common sense) if a
problem occurs. My personal view is build your PVR and
treat is as an appliance. If you want to learn Linux,
nuke Windows and just right in.

Regards,

Cecil

PS: Ive never used MythDora and wish nothing but the
best for them and all Linux distros. And yes, I do
know one doesnt need to compile anything w/
MythDora... Just an example of what may have to do if
one chooses.

I agree with Cecil. As a long time user of Knoppmyth,
it is an easy to use standalone distribution, and a
fine one at that, provided you have some basic Linux
skills. However, it is definitely not designed for
newbies. I have used it for more than two years and
like it a lot.

I do not know anything about MythDora so I do not
comment on them other than to wish them the best of
luck as well.

On the other hand, the main reason I started AMICUS
was specifically FOR helping the newbies and
inexperienced users. The goal is to lower the barriers
to entry that keep many new users floundering on the
lists/forums (like this one and others) -- many of
whom give up in despair. I believe the project fills
an unoccupied niche as there are no other MythTV
projects dedicated solely to helping the newbies (that
I know of) especially on the older reused PCs they
frequently have.

Try to put yourself in the position of the
Linux/MythTV newbie: (I know that may be hard for
some, but please humor me). Linux and MythTV hold a
lot of positive attractions but unless you can get ALL
the necessary components (basic OS, X, ALSA, MySQL,
the tuner, MythTV etc) working relatively quickly you
end up with frustrating mess. The various HOWTOs age
quickly and are often out of date leading to even more
confusion.

So to bring this back on topic, just because there are
different MythTV related distributions and projects
does not mean that one is necessarily *better*. It
depends on the target audience and is highly
subjective.

Someone said earlier in this thread that all the
various projects should be tacitly supported and I
think that is the best approach. If anything, the
various projects seem more complimentary than
competitive, each with their own unique audience.

Andrew Lynch