[mythtv-users] knoppmyth or mythdora

Cecil Watson cwatson at linkline.com
Fri Mar 24 03:44:48 UTC 2006

Joshua Luckner wrote:
> So for those of us new to the Linux/myth game... has there ever been a
> debate as to which is the better path to go down.  I want to get going
> using Myth and learning Linux and trying to get to the point of playing
> with Myth along with the semblance of a life I try to keep isn't working.

No debates as far as I'm aware.  Why should there be (when KnoppMyth is
the best ;)?

> So bring forth the flood gates... Knoppmyth or Mythdora or quit whining
> ya damn M$ baby and get it working (I really have tried to give it the
> free time I have available... it's just not that much)
The idea behind KnoppMyth is to simply get a Linux powered, MythTV based
set-top box running in a quick and easy manner.  Some people have stated
that KnoppMyth is made for the newbie.  Well, it isn't.  Why spend hours
compiling packages, etc.,  when all you want is to enjoy TV and
multimedia (simply my view, compile away to your hearts content)?

While we do try to make things simply and try to include support for as
much hardware as we can, one still needs Linux skills (if not common
sense) if a problem occurs.  My personal view is build your PVR and
treat is as an appliance.  If you want to learn Linux, nuke Windows and
just right in.

Regards,

Cecil

PS:  I've never used MythDora and wish nothing but the best for them and
all Linux distros.  And yes, I do know one doesn't need to compile
anything w/ MythDora...  Just an example of what may have to do if one
chooses.