[mythtv-users] Fedora 4, no sound

Joe Silver devils.taco at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 23:25:32 UTC 2006

On 3/23/06, Kevin Metz <kbmetz at yahoo.com> wrote:

> So, I've been running Myth for awhile now. Right now its running on Fedora
> 4 and updated with yum (not from source). Its been working fine for a number
> of months, and now, maybe a few weeks ago or so, the sound has stopped
> working. What changed? Well, yum updates to the box, and myth version .19
>
> How do I know the sound works? It works under tvtime just fine. And, when
> I run up mythfrontend the tvtime jumps to the right channel and I can hear
> the sound change on the speakers. How-ever, on any remote computer, or on
> any mythtv recording. It has no sound.
>
> So, I'm thinking something changed? But I don't know what. Everything else
> in the sound seems to work. And I've tried changing the source under alsa
> config. But all to no avail. Nothing seems to get mythtv to record sound
> along with the video.
>
> So, its running Fedora 4, on a P4, and a sb live! card in it. Any
> suggestions or idea's would be greatly appreciated.

I've seen the sound on my FC3 box stop working after a yum upgrade which
upgraded alsa.  What actually happened was the asound.state from the
previous alsa version wasn't compatible with the new version.  I had to run
alsamixer and manually unmute the master and/or pcm outputs and adjust the
levels to be appropriate (which immediately fixed the issue).  I then wrote
a new asound.state so these levels are reloaded upon reboot.

So my advice is to check your mixer settings!

-JS