[mythtv-users] Compelling drop-in replacement for PVR-350?

Jesse Adelman someone at boldandbusted.com
Thu Mar 23 19:31:28 UTC 2006

Hi all. In light of the recent (and on-going) discussions about the
possible drop in support for PVR-350 output, I'm wondering what you,
who value high quality SD captures and output, have gone with instead?

Here's what I like about the 350:

* All S-Video, both input and output, if so desired. Great color
trueness and sharpness - even text looks decent. At even 1.2GB/hr, very
high quality captures, with minimal pixilization - though for shows
requiring high detail (think of shows with lots of sandstorms -
anything with large gradients of color/brightness and fast movement),
3GB/hr+ is recommended.
* Minimal main CPU usage.
* Ready-for-DVD storage format (no transcoding needed).
* High fidelity to original input signal.
* Soon will have fully in-kernel open source driver (ivtv getting
there).
* PCI card (would love to know about an AGP equivalent, tho).
* Includes decent remote

My box is a Shuttle SN41G2V2. Yes, it has a Nvidia GF4 MX 440 S-video
out. Yes, the output quality sucks on that - areas with black colors
are not black, but dark grey, there's modeline problems (no 720x480),
etc. - however, I haven't tried it out with recent NVidia drivers.

Thanks for your input. And thanks for MythTV.

Cheers,
Jesse Adelman
San Francisco, CA USA
Fun: http://www.ilikelinux.com/