[mythtv-users] Can myth TV do what I want?

Disconnect mythtv at gotontheinter.net
Thu Mar 23 18:50:46 UTC 2006

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006, Stephen Rowles did have cause to say:

> I am just finding that the freevo video interface simply doesn't work -
> my directory structure containing VOBs is on a mounted file system
> (shouldn't make any difference) and when I browse to the directory for a
> given DVD all I get is "no files found", rather than the ability to play
> the VOB's as a dvd.

Freevo is going to see a difference between my.vob and my.VOB - be sure it
knows about the file extensions. (Or just rename the files in one directory
and see what happens.)

The reason I initially dropped MythTV for media-playing is that every time I
added a file, I had to go through the setup menu, wait for it to rescan the
directories, then add any meta-data and come back out to the main interface
to actually play it. (Freevo did it 'right' - new files appear immediately,
even updating the display right in front of you if you are in that directory
when it happens.)

> The key for me is the interface, it has to be simple to use as it is for
> everyone in my family to use, not just me the techy who can quite easily
> cope with a command line interface ;)

I found that guests had no problem picking up a remote and figuring out
freevo. (Once I handed them the proper remote ;) ..).  I suspect there is an
equally intuitive mythtv theme/organization out there, but I haven't found
it yet. (The ones that shipped with it all have me staring at a menu going
"ok, now where did they hide option Z..")

FWIW my whole saga started with freevo not even running (sigh) and so mythtv
worked 'well enough' for a while, except for the above update interface.
Then I got bored and tried freevo again, and it worked, so it also did 'well
enough'.  Now I have a new HD capture card and I need something to do decent
HD OTA PVR-foo, and (since its there) apply tvtime or other decent
postprocessing to the (svideo) directivo SD output.  The answer here seems
to be mythtv, so I'm back. :)

> It looked like freevo could do this but I'm failing dismally to make it
> work right now.

It should 'just work', if freevo can identify the video files. Alternately,
make sure the VIDEO_TS directory still exists - that should help both
interfaces figure out its a psuedo-dvd format.

> I was hoping someone on the mailing list would say: "Oh yes, I've ripped
> all my DVD's using Program X, and to make MythTV work as youd expect
> just do Y" :D

Other posters have commented about the music interface in mythtv, which I'm
going to be trying later this week. (I'll post a comparison if you want it.)
Freevo basically works in the directory heirarchy, understands m3u
playlists, and allows you to play (ordered or random) any part of that
heirarchy. (EG if you have MP3s/Classical/Bach, it creates 'virtual
playlists' for MP3s/* and subdirectories, MP3s/Classical/* and
MP3s/Classical/Bach/* ..) I don't honestly remember if it has any sort of
reasonable playlist creation methods, as I never bothered to try..

So .. not sure if this helped, but it sounds like you can go either way.