[mythtv-users] Will any PVR-150 Work?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Mar 23 15:19:03 UTC 2006

On Mar 23, 2006, at 7:48 AM, Lawrwence wrote:

> On 3/22/06, Bert Santema <atsantema at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Just a bit more info, I got a PVR-150MCE Retail. It has radio
> (haven't used it yet) and the remote
> receiver plugs into a usb port. Use the mce-usb2 driver and you're
> fine.
>
> Remote works like a charm for me (aside from that nasty logo...)
>
> There's some Wiki info here:
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Setup_LIRC_for_MythTV
>
> Cheers,
> Bert
>

> Just to add some more confusion to the mix, I picked a PVR-150
> Retail ( I wanted the remote ).  All the above info matches
> ( connectors, features, etc ) except mine does claim to have a
> radio.  I haven't used it yet ( we don't get good radio reception
> here in the mountains anyway ) so I can't verify that it is enabled
> and functional.
>
> The MCE versions without the remote are a good bargin for adding
> additional cards or could even server as your primary card if you
> have no need of the remote functionality.

The problem I ran into is that the 150MCE has a different tuner type
from the 150. If the only card is an MCE I know how to force the
tuner type, but I don't know how to tell the system that one card is
tuner a and the other is tuner b. I'm sure there's a way but I'm only
using my MCE for satellite and thus don't need the tuner, so I just
let it assign it incorrectly.

The MCE OEMs are sometimes referred to as "white box" and sold as
second tuners for Windows MCE systems (not third or fourth tuners,
MCE is not capable of that :-))

Between NTSC and PAL, remote and no remote, radio and no radio, RCA
jacks and 1/8" jacks, IR blasters and no blasters, old remote and new
remote, USB remote and I2C remote, I wonder how even Hauppauge can
keep track of what a "150" actually is.