[mythtv-users] Via XvMC (openchrome) Video quality (distortion) blurry jumpy image

Karl Hiramoto karl at hiramoto.org
Thu Mar 23 11:35:30 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm using mythtv 0.19  on VIA Nehemiah 1.3ghz SP13000.. Using Xorg 7.0
and OpenChrome drivers.

I have a problem with bad video quality when using "Via XvMC" as the
"Preferred MPEG2 Decoder".  When I select this the image quality is
much worse,  when watching a news channel where they put text in a box
it is most noticeable.  The Test seems jumping, bouncy/blurry and the
box lines the text is in seems jumpy/bouncy.  For example watching
CNN/ BBC News / bloomberg  the text scrolling across the boxes with
the scrolling text seem fuzzy or bouncy.  If i use the "Standard,
libmpeg2" the image looks nice and crisp.

Problem is I have the VIA Nehemiah 1.3ghz SP13000   if I use Standard
I have 99% CPU usage.. Libmpeg2 80% CPU usage.  With via XvMC i only
have 30% CPU usage (entire system).

Via XvMC would be the best on this hardware.

With myth-video using the internal player, the same problem exists.

When I use mplayer or xine,   with or without XV or XvMC acceleration
they work fine, no distortion, perfect sharp image.

Is there any known fix for this?

Thanks

--
karl