[mythtv-users] irblaster - Fedora Core 4 - Does Not Work

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Mar 23 01:40:12 UTC 2006

On Mar 22, 2006, at 6:22 PM, Brian Sutcliff wrote:

> >Is the lirc_serial module loading? ("lsmod | grep lirc" to check) ??
> >Is lirc_dev loading ??
>
> I get (So I would assume yes):
>
> lirc_serial            13824  0
> lirc_dev               15140  1 lirc_serial
>
> >Are the lirc devices getting created ? What does "ls -l /dev/lirc*"
> >show you. You should have a character and a socket device.
>
> I get:
>
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 5 Mar 22 19:38 /dev/lirc -> lirc0

You should have more than that. I get:

ls -l /dev/lirc*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     5 Mar 22 12:59 /dev/lirc -> lirc0
crw-------  1 root root 61, 0 Mar 22 12:59 /dev/lirc0
crw-------  1 root root 61, 1 Mar 22 12:59 /dev/lirc1
crw-------  1 root root 61, 2 Mar 22 12:59 /dev/lirc2
srw-rw-rw-  1 root root     0 Mar 22 12:59 /dev/lircd

Note that there are both character and socket devices. The device you
show is just a link, and if the device it is linked to doesn't exist
it should be flashing or something to indicate the error. Are you
sure you put the "*" lirc* ???

> >Are you using an IR remote? In that case you should have 2 >char
> and 2
>
> Not sure. I have a RS232. It is just a ransmitter

I mean are you using an infra-red remote of any type, perhaps
connected to a PVR card or a USB remote ??

> >socket devices. I see you are using a minor of "1" so I assume >your
> >remote is "0", if this is not true that might be your problem.
>
> Where are you seeing this? Where would I change it?

In your modprobe.conf

options lirc_serial irq=4 io=0x3e8
alias char-major-61-1 lirc_serial    <-----------
install lirc_serial setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none; /sbin/modprobe --
ignore-install lirc_serial

The "-1" in 61-1 is the minor, usually the first device would be "0",
the second "1" etc. so if you have no other lirc device you should be
using 61-0 (I think).

Remember that I gave up on getting an LIRC blaster working, but more
from laziness and impatience than anything else, so please do not
take my advice as authoritative, I'm just pointing out what I see.