[mythtv-users] irblaster - Fedora Core 4 - Does Not Work

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Mar 22 22:29:44 UTC 2006

On Mar 22, 2006, at 2:46 PM, Brian Sutcliff wrote:

> I purchased an irblaster from irblaster.com. I am using Fedora core
> 5 and the following kernel:
>
> 2.6.15-1.1833_FC4
>
> I have followed every HOWto I can find. No luck. Can someone look
> at my /etc/modprobe.conf ?
>
> I have spent countless hours trying to get this going.
>
> I have:
>
> options lirc_serial irq=4 io=0x3e8
> alias char-major-61-1 lirc_serial
> install lirc_serial setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none; /sbin/modprobe
> --ignore-install lirc_serial
>
> I run the following commands to get it going:
>

> depmod -a lirc_serial
> modprobe lirc_serial
> /usr/sbin/lircd --device=/dev/lirc0 --output=/dev/lircd
> /usr/sbin/lircd  --driver=default --device=/dev/lirc1 --output=/dev/
> lircd1 --pidfile=/var/run/lircd1.pid
>
> My dmesg:
>
> serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
> serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1
> Serial: 8250/16550 driver $Revision: 1.90 $ 4 ports, IRQ sharing
> enabled
> serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
> 00:0c: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
>
> And
>
> lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, at major 61
> lirc_serial: auto-detected active low receiver
> lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin: sample_rate: 0

Is the lirc_serial module loading? ("lsmod | grep lirc" to check) ??
Is lirc_dev loading ??

Are the lirc devices getting created ? What does "ls -l /dev/lirc*"
show you. You should have a character and a socket device.

Are you using an IR remote? In that case you should have 2 char and 2
socket devices. I see you are using a minor of "1" so I assume your
remote is "0", if this is not true that might be your problem.

It probably doesn't mean anything, but I've always seen the "options"
line after the "alias" line, couldn't hurt to try it that way.

I notice that your log showed a "receiver" being detected. I don't
know if this is normal or not, because I would think that what you
have is a "transmitter".

But what do I know? I gave up on the LIRC approach and bought on of
the MyBlasters, had it running ten minutes after it was out of the
box. Search on "IR Blaster and Dish Network" for more info.