[mythtv-users] Sky integration

Stefan Haflidason styrmis at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 22 18:35:53 UTC 2006

On 3/22/06, Richard Smith <rick_t_smith at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Stefan Haflidason wrote:
>
> > On 3/22/06, *Stefan Haflidason* <styrmis at googlemail.com
> > <mailto:styrmis at googlemail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 3/22/06, *Dave* < lists at netsalve.com
> >     <mailto:lists at netsalve.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     On Tuesday 21 March 2006 23:00, Stefan Haflidason wrote:
> >> How happy are those of you who record Sky programs with MythTV?
> >>
> >> I don't have a Sky box (but I need to install with a Sky box this
> >     weekend).
> >> I've been looking at setting up the channels, and I am already
> >     resigned to
> >> the fact that the configuration must be done in a rather
> >     laborious way.
> >>
> >> As a test, I just tried adding BBC1, BBC2 and E4, using the rt xmltv
> >> grabber. E4 was skipped as the id wasn't correct, and the BBC
> >     channels were
> >> grabbed correctly.
> >>
> >> mythfilldatabase ran and populated correctly as far as I can see.
> >>
> >> The current release of xmltv is 0.5.42 and brings with it an
> >     update to the
> >> rt channel ids. I updated to this version, but was met with a
> >     different
> >> manner (perhaps unacceptable) of configuration. In the
> >     configuration (in
> >> the console, started from mythtv-setup) I was asked to say yes or
> >     no to
> >> each channel the grabber new about. This is not as friendly as
> >     the search
> >> interface of the previous versions.
> >>
> >> So for the moment I have downgraded. For the others who are trying to
> >> record Sky, what have your solutions been? As far as I can tell
> >     all that
> >> needs changing are the channel ids that xmltv uses.
> >>
> >> My questions:
> >>
> >> 1) How do other people cope with xmltv ids changing? Do you have
> >     any tips
> >> for how to set up the required Sky channels , based on your
> >     experiences? I
> >> have channel changing sorted (though untested) using a device
> >     from Joseph
> >> Heenan, but no channels.
> >>
> >> 2) I think I may try and just edit the xmltv config file created
> >     in the
> >> .mythtv directory directly and avoid the configuration utility.
> >     Is this
> >> acceptable or does the utility do something else?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Stefan.
> >>
> >> P.S. I would normally just experiment, but I'm in the unfortunate
> >     position
> >> of needing to install this system in ~1 day. There is very little to
> >> configure, but the bit that's left is rather crucial so I really
> >     appreciate
> >> your input.
> >> **
> >
> >     The attached file Antenna.xmltv contains most of the Sky Channels
> >     - hope it
> >     helps.
> >
> >     Regards,
> >     Dave

> [...]

That's somewhat reassuring, thanks Rick. My concern is that although
e4.channel4.com appears in all the configurations I've seen,
mythfilldatabase refuses to acknowledge it as valid and skips it.

My brother isn't going to miss E4 necessarily, but if it happens with other
channels I'm not sure what the manual workaround is. My only idea is to add
it to the mythconverg database manually and see what happens. Is that what
other people do?