[mythtv-users] no sound

Paul Cnudde cnuddep at rogers.com
Wed Mar 22 03:04:14 UTC 2006

I can't for the life of me figure out why I can't get mythtv to produce any sound.
I managed to get ivtv working. If I do cat /dev/video0 > test,mpg then I get a short mpg which contains audio so I know my card is working correctly (its a pvr-500 with the hardware encoder so no need to patch it in to my sound card)
I can play wav files and mp3s etc no problem using totem.
I have tried the setting the following devices in mythfrontend:
ALSA:default
/dev/dsp
/dev/adsp (i dunno it was in the list)

I have tried these with the different combinations of mixers suggested:
/dev/mixer
default
/dev/mixer1

I have played around with the alsamixer  and the gnome mixer.  I have tried capturing on all the inputs, yet I get no sound.  looking back through the archives this seems to be a common problem but unfortunately not many people seem to post their solutions.  I'm a bit of newbie with linux and perhaps bit off more than I can chew attempting to set up mythtv 0.19 as one of my first projects.  If someone could provide me with *detailed* trouble shooting steps I'd be very appreciative.  I'm running debian with a 2.6.15 kernel.  My sound card is an onboard Nvidia nforce2
If I manage to fix this I will post my solution to this list
thanks in advance for your help.
Paul