[mythtv-users] XvMC and high CPU usage

tj htpc at treblid.dyndns.org
Wed Mar 22 01:44:42 UTC 2006

That's what I'm trying to figure out.  I have two frontends, one Athlon
1800 with MX440 AGP using XvMC perfectly on Redhat 9 and Xfree86 4.3.  I
have another Celeron 2.2ghz with MX4000 PCI that fails dramatically on
XvMC (despite working OK with software playback) on Fedora Core 4 and
xorg 6.8.99.  Both are using the 7676 driver linked with Myth against
libXvMCNVIDIA.
Wondering could it be a PCI video card issue? Try increasing the PCI latency in your BIOS (or linux) and see if it improves things. Do you get better results if you overlock your CPU slightly?

What kernel are you using again?

When doing XvMC playback, how's your CPU load like again? How many % is waiting?

What does your mythfrontend log says?

Try different combinations in the mythfrontend setup (Audio buffering, extra audio buffering, different deinterlace algos). That works for me sometimes...

Your xorg.conf files between the two machines are similiar?

The only thing that always have to be off (for me at least) is openGL Vsync (both mythtv and nvidia-settings).