[mythtv-users] Displaying 1080i on 4:3 standard TV

Lee Koloszyc teething12 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 21 19:01:43 UTC 2006

Mike Schlottman wrote:

> First a question. Is it even possible to display all of a 1080i
> broadcast on a standard 4:3 TV?
>
> When I try to do this I get a display that looks like the picture has
> been shifted to the right. There is a wide black bar on the right,
> with the expected black bars on top and bottom. If I use the aspect
> override settings, the best I can do is a larger picture that is
> butted against the left side and has a portion of the right side cut off.
>
> I’d like to hear from anyone who has ever seen this work, just so I
> know it can be done. If you have pointers on how it might be done,
> that would be great too.
>
> Thanks
>
> mike

I am pretty sure it can work as it should scale to the 4:3TV. Assuming
you are using the onboard videocard, I would wager that it has the same
problem my ATI has. As Kevin Kuphal stated about the ATI card:
scaler in the ATI chip not scaling the HD content properly. "
So to test this theory out make a 1080i HD recording and then play it
back using 'mplayer -vo X11 filename ' and see if it displays properly.
As a temporary solution (and since my TV is only Standard Definition), I
just transcode anything recorded on the 1080i channels as the 720p
channels playback fine.

Lee