[mythtv-users] Installing MythTV 0.19 on SuSE 10.0

Lawrwence mail.list.lawrence at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 17:08:18 UTC 2006

On 3/21/06, Ping-Wu Zhang <pwzhangz at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been thinking about MythTV for quite some time but have just
> recently ordered a Hauppauge PVR 350.  My OS is SuSE 10.0, and would like
> to run MythTV along with FreeNX.
>
> Can anyone tell me where I can find a good place or places that talk about
> installing MythTV 0.19 on SuSE 10.0 (i.e., HOWTOs) in detail?  Thanks.

I'm currently doing a very similar setup except I'm using a PVR-150.  You
have two key steps:  (1) get the card working and (2) get MythTV working.

For the first step, http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Howto:Suse is probably
the best place to start.  The ivtv drivers included with SuSE 10 are a bit
older but for me that are doing fine ( no reason to upgrade yet ).  Unless
you upgrade your kernel past the ivtv 0.3.7 threashold you shouldn't have to
do anything more than in the basic instructions.  One tip I will offer here,
I had no luck with the firmware designated for 0.3.7.  However, when I
grabed the firmware for 0.4.0 and put that in the directory expected by
0.3.7 my card came to life.

For the second step, I found a repository which I added to YaST that offered
a MythTV 0.19 bundle.  So far I have only gotten as far as initial setup and
haven't had a chance to actually test it yet, but it has appeared to go
fine.  The one gottcha on this is that the bundle did not include the
database files which I needed to dump into MySQL, but I just went to the
MythTV web site and downloaded a package, copied the files over, and it all
came together.

When I get home to my system I will try to post the repository address but I
believe I just found it by searching this forum or by Google ( can't
remember which ).