[mythtv-users] Way OT, but a quick question about mencoder

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Mar 20 23:36:01 UTC 2006

On Mar 20, 2006, at 2:48 PM, Robin Hill wrote:

> On Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 02:26:21PM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
>
>> Anyone know if mencoder is capable of multi-threading. The system is
>> capable of it (SMP kernel, proper libs etc) ??
>>
> A quick search suggests that only encoding using libavcodec (lavc) is
> multi-threaded.  Neither ffmpeg or xvid are currently multi-threaded
> (though there has been some work on modifying xvid to utilise multiple
> threads so this in on the way).

Well I selected "Divx 4/5 (lavc)" in Konverter. Plus, if I try and
run two jobs at the same time they both seem to get assigned to the
same CPU :-(

I'm brand new to the SMP world so I guess I have some studying up to
do. This being pretty OT I'll find a better forum for "studying" the
matter.

Thanks for the pointer.