[mythtv-users] Myth on XBOX 360!

Raphael Pooser rpooser at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 22:03:23 UTC 2006

Steven Adeff wrote:
> On 3/20/06, Raphael Pooser <rpooser at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Steven Adeff wrote:
>>
>>> The PS3 is also supposed to have dual DVI output, which just begs for
>>> some cool uses! Can't wait to get one and start hacking away at it. My
>>> Xbox with XBMC is great but no HD support, can't wait to see what the
>>> PS3 is capable of!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Steve
>>>

>> True about the DVI.  I believe one of the DVI connectors is supposed to
>> be in the form of HDMI, no?  Hopefully, if it's coming as a blueray
>> player.  I would love that, as so far the only thing in my house that
>> can use HDMI is my computer, using a DVI cable that terminates in an
>> HDMI connector.  Getting something hooked up to my TV with an HDMI
>> output that just works without having to fiddle with overscan and
>> compliant resolutions would certainly be nice.  The DVI is about the
>> main reason I'm holding off buying a 360 until the PS3 comes out.
>> Raphael
>>

> yea, prbly will be HDMI. Overscan will still be an issue as its a TV
> thing and not an output thing.
>
> --
> Steve

Well, I was more thinking of finding resolutions that work, etc.  While
searching around on my windows machine for the best HD resolutions,
often I would be sitting there looking at a black screen when I
accidentally chose an unsupported one (well not any more as I've found
the best ones and they work great, but at the beginning).  I imagine
with a consumer electronics device this wouldn't be a problem.  While
each TV overscans differently, with a computer you can futz around with
modelines to try and get your computer's output to look the best for
your overscanned TV.  When using a TV that is strict on what resolutions
it takes on the HDMI port, it gets a little frustrating.  Hooking up a
PS3 or similar device I imagine the output image is going to be made
expecting TVs to do a certain amount of overscan (unlike my computer's
output).  With the image made with overscanning in mind, the fact that
my TV does overscan will be less of a problem than when hooking up a
computer, so I probably wouldn't have to futz around with the device's
output (if I even could).   well, this is all with a big Hopefully.  :)
Raphael