[mythtv-users] Shutdown unused slaves

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 21:41:57 UTC 2006

On 20/03/06, Bob <spam at homeurl.co.uk> wrote:
> I had wanted the FE/BEs to shutdown automatically when not in use and
> have the master BE WOL them when they were needed for a recording or to
> help out when the transcoding or commflaging queue got too long.
>
> Is this really not possible? What would need doing to make this work?

I'd would guess that the slave FE/BEs would need to poll the upcoming
recording scheudule, and if one of the slaves was not going to be
required for a certain amount of time, could then run its own shutdown
script. The MBE could then use WOL to wakeup the slave(s) when it was
needed.

This could be very useful if the MBE scheduler added new recordings
for the SBE machines to record as WOL could wake them up at the new
time, whereas a SDWU script using nvram-wakeup or similar would not as
the wakeup time is hard-coded in the BIOS. It's certainly a feature I
look forward to.

Nick