[mythtv-users] HD playback withou XvMC

Marco Nelissen marcone at xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 20 16:13:30 UTC 2006

>I'm going to build a new frontend soon, specifically for HD playback.
>While XvMC works, it still seems to have its share of problems and I'm
>wondering what it would take to not deal with it.  Is anyone able to
>play 1080i HD without using XvMC?  If so, what CPU adn GPU are you
>using, and how well does it work at various timestretch settings?

I have a combined frontend/backend, Athlon64 3200+, FX5200, and get
about 70% CPU usage when not using XvMC. I don't use timestretching
because it means losing the 5.1 sound, but when I tried it I could
go to about 1.2x before it started dropping frames noticably.
With XvMC, normal playback takes about 35% CPU. I haven't tried
timestretching with XvMC.