[mythtv-users] Copying an install

Paul Williams pawill79 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 09:38:10 UTC 2006

Maybe best bet is to just buy a second drive. If all possible try to buy
same manufacture/model/storage. I use "dd" to back up from one drive to the
other.

So my setup..

Master Drive (hda)
/dev/hda1 /
/dev/hda2 swap
/dev/hda3 /video

Slave Drive (hdb)
/dev/hdb1 /
/dev/hdb2 swap
/dev/hdb3 /video

When I want to do a full back up on my primary drive I issue this command,
dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb

That takes about 3.5 hrs for a 120 GB drive.

If I just want to backup my / partition I do this.
dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/hdb1
Only takes about 15min.

Then If my hda drive ever gets hosed I can just swap master/slave disks and
be up in running again.