[mythtv-users] Which graphic card output to TV input?

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 19 23:05:45 UTC 2006

--- Robert Fitzpatrick <lists at webtent.net> wrote:

> I have MythTV 0.19 setup and working fine. Now I
> need to figure out how
> I will get the resolution on my Mitsubishi 55"
> widescreen TV to its
> native resolution. Right now I am output from the
> nVidia FX 5500 card
> using S-VIDEO and tried several modelines, but it
> does not seem from
> what I've read that I can get better than my already
> achieved (and
> acceptable) resolution of 800x600. I picked up
> adapter for the DVI
> output to component (Yr Pb Pr), but not sure if that
> is going to work.
> My TV has one DTV input with the sat receiver
> connected and a couple of
> component inputs of which my DVD player is connected
> to one. Looking to
> this list for some pointers on which graphics card
> output to which TV
> input I should be trying to get working? Should my
> adapter work with the
> DVI output to DTV or component input?
>
> --
> Robert

S-Video will not likely get you a resolution of higher
than 800x600 (some TVs and video cards support
1024x768), but keep in mind that it is still scaled
down to 720x480 (480i) by the card's built-in scaler.

That said, I believe that the inputs in recommended
order (for quality) are:
Component
DVI
VGA
S-Video
Composite

For ease of use however, I've found:
VGA
DVI (Don't have DVI so I can't really say for sure)
Component
S-Video
Composite

If your TV has a component input and you already have
the VGA/DVI to component converter (as you say you
do), you can try hooking it up.  However, I recommend
that you do it under Windows, because you'll likely
need to use PowerStrip to come up with proper X
modelines for the HD resolutions.

(Myself, I got lucky - my HDTV has a VGA input, and
the default Windows driver settings on my 5200FX for
720p worked, as well as PowerStrip's 540p and 480p
settings.  So instead of having to play around with
PowerStrip, I was able to use the TV's controls to
adjust the picture).

-- Joe