[mythtv-users] Mythrecommend or TVWish?

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 22:57:27 UTC 2006

> Is either of these programs able to do "Tivo-style" recommendations by
> watching what you record?

> Can TVWish do what I want now (the latest threads I see are from a year
> ago).

TVWish works by looking at a whole load of rules that you set up which
it analyses to see what to add to the recording schedule. Those rules
might be things like anything with Jane Fonda in it, or any thing that
matches "Godfather*" etc etc. I notice that it does have an embryonic
Tivo type functionality called suggestions - see
http://www.templetons.com/brad/myth/suggest.html

I have tried using TVWish in the past but unfortunately it is heavily
dependent on very detailed program data being available in the
database - things like when something was 1st aired, whether it's a
pilot, and other pieces of data which we don't see day to day. While
this info is probably available in the US, it's certainly not in
Australia so I find the functionality of TVWish is limited for me to
just building wild card lists around program titles. But if you're in
the US I'd certainly give it a go.

Regards,
Phill