[mythtv-users] MythTV and USB hubs

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Mar 19 03:33:57 UTC 2006

ar 18, 2006, at 8:18 PM, Nathan Lutchansky wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 at 10:58:54AM +0800, Bob wrote:
>> Jim Minihane wrote:
>>> I did a little math. It's cheaper to get 4 M402Us, a USB2 card,
>>> and a
>>> cheaper computer, than it is to get the 402s and a larger machine
>>> that has
>>> native USB2 onboard. As it stands I just ordered 2 M402Us and
>>> will be
>>> testing them on a P3-933 tower taht has a USB2 card. My "real"
>>> system will
>>> be similar.
>>
>> Don't the Plextors require an audio input each?
>
> I don't know where this misinformation came from but more than one
> person has been confused about this.  The Plextor ConvertX units have
> stereo RCA audio inputs built in, right next to the video ports.  The
> audio capture device on the Plextor appears as an ALSA sound card
> under
> Linux.  You do not need to have any other sound hardware.  -Nathan

I don't know if I was the first but I was mislead at one point into
thinking that a sound card input was required for each Plextor (and
if your card had only 1 PCM input you would need another card).

This was of course nonsense, as you pointed out. The document I had
read also said that the Plextor would not work except at 640x480
resolution, which was incorrect as well.

I've lost track of where that document was, if I get some time I will
try and track it down in order to get it corrected or retracted in
some way, the Plextors are excellent units and I wouldn't want to see
anybody discouraged about them by bad information.

I have since operated two units with no additional sound hardware at
720x480 resolution so I can state categorically that "not true data"
was included in that document.