[mythtv-users] OT Problem Installing Firefox Upgrade

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Sun Mar 19 02:14:34 UTC 2006

R. G. Newbury wrote:
> Sorry to throw in another OT thread, but I'm having a frustrating
> afternoon, arising entirely from obscurities and lack of documentation.
>
> Trying to upgrade the mythbox with smart, which appears to be as dumb as
>   yum.
>
> Tried to install firefox 1.5.01 from tarball.... NO JOY. The readme file
> refers me to the website, which only has the Release Notes.
>
> The Release Notes say:
>
> Extract the tarball in the directory where you want to install Firefox:
>
> tar -xzvf firefox-1.5.tar.gz
>
> This will create a firefox subdirectory of that directory.
>

> This is your prototypical 'help' instruction: perfectly true and
> perfectly useless.
> Of COURSE tar will create a sub-directory. But where SHOULD IT BE CREATED?

Wherever you want. On my work laptop I put it in
/home/username/bin/firefox then to run I execute
/home/username/bin/firefox/firefox, although I autostart it in login,
and have it mapped to the KDE launch bar so I don't actually have to
execute it like that.
> I tried a few of the usual suspect places, including in /usr/lib and
> copying the firefox (binary) to /usr/bin but then firefox cannot find
> the 'mozilla runtime directory' and fails.

Never ever had that problem, so I can't help you there. It just works
for me. Sorry.

Tom