[mythtv-users] Which TFT to get?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sat Mar 18 19:52:26 UTC 2006

Apropos the comment below about buying the 'name', the backside of that
is that the name brand is built with better components and will last longer.

My Sony stereo receiver and its remote recently died. I got them fixed
for $75 Cdn. Needed a new CR2025 battery for the receivers tuner memory,
some capacitors in the power supply and a new IR transmitter/reciever
diode in the remote. The repair guy asked me when I bought them. Some
research pointed to ~1982!.
Interestingly, the 26" Sony Trinitron TV then started acting up. I
started thinking about a nice LCD widescreen... and the cost thereof.

Turned out to be the same sort of power supply capacitor problem. The
repair guy *made a house call* to remove the guts of the TV rather than
my humping the 70 odd pounds to his shop and had it back in 2 days for
another $75. He also tuned up the convergence and other bits and lo and
behold the picture is astounding.

I recovered this TV from the trash coming out of a house across the
street after someone moved. They took the 37" and left the 26"!. I had
no idea of its age. The repair guy tracked it down to 1988 from the
components inside.

Now I will NEVER buy a Sony CD because of the DRM crap, but I WILL buy
Sony hardware. Sometimes you do get what you pay for.

Then again, this free advice may be worth exactly what you have paid for it!

Geoff