[mythtv-users] AA 9A60 Quality with MythTV

Robert Tsai rtsai1111 at comcast.net
Sat Mar 18 18:42:55 UTC 2006

On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 12:41:20PM -0800, Ed O'Brien wrote:
> I'm looking to output 1080i, and I've read a lot of posts about
> using an Audio Authority 9A60 to convert VGA to component.  I
> understand that I will still need to compute a proper modeline, but
> I haven't seen any posts about the actual quality of the output when
> using VGA -> 9A60.
>
> For anyone who is currently using this method for 1080i...how does
> it look?  Does it still look great, despite conversion?  Does it
> look identical, close, or nowhere near the quality of your original
> HD cable signal coming out of the DVI/HDMI of the cable set top box
> and going to the DVI/HDMI input of the TV.  How would you rate it
> overall?  Good? Great? Excellent?
>
> I'm willing to spend the $120, but not if the output is poor
> quality.

I had no problems with the output quality of the 9A60. My problem was
probably more with my TV (Toshiba 42H83 rear-projection CRT).

My two choices were:

	FX5200 DVI output to DVI input on TV
	FX5200 VGA output to 9A60 to component input on TV.

The overscan is less severe with the 9A60. However, my problem with
the 9A60 was that every time I switched away from some other input
(like a Playstation or DVD player) to the 9A60 component input, the
convergence would be all messed up, and I'd have to reset it.

The hassle of resetting convergence wasn't worth it extra bit of
resolution I was getting, so I took the 9A60 back out of my system.

--Rob