[mythtv-users] Confusion about Output Cards.

Warren warren-lists at icruise.com
Fri Mar 17 18:24:39 UTC 2006

Nick Ellson wrote:
> It certainly sounds like I will have some trial and error testing infront
> of me. The system will be ready this next Thursday, in a 4U chassis that
> must go in the garage. Getting cable (analog) to it is easy, it comes into
> the house near my cabinet. But it is 60 feet to the back of my Sony Wega
> under the house, so I will have to figure out how best to get playback
> done.
>
> I see expensive HDMI cables meeting my length requirements, but if the
> internal capacitance degrades the signal...
>
> I already have one RCA video drop from my TV-out on my GeoVision home
> security system, and that looks just like the VGA screen, but then it is a
> security camera after all ;)
>
> I will have S-Video output available on the G-Force card I will be using.
> I could hit my local Norvac/Greybar and find some quality cable that meets
> the conductor/shield requirements to make a HCC from wall to wall.
>
> I tried testing with the 2.4Ghz Video transmitters from X10/Radio Shack..
> Heh.. The video was pretty good for small spans of time, but you have to
> curb your hunger for Microwaved Popcorn! ;) I don't think I saw more than
> 3-7 contiguous pixels of real video when the wife fired up the TV dinner.
>
> Now, what I am curious about is this idea of a remote client for playback.
> Can Myth TV integrate a larger capture system and have a smaller playback
> PC do the output?
>
> Nick

Yes.

That is what I am in the process of doing at home right now.  I had 2
replayTVs and a DVArchive server in the basement.  I have put a MythTV
backend in the basement with 2 (for now) capture cards.  For the
frontends I am going to be using systems very much like a VIA
EPIA-M10000 for playback with no capture cards at all - the video will
be streamed (myth) or grabbed over NFS from the old DVArchive boxes
(mythvideo) to the front-end clients.