[mythtv-users] Confusion about Output Cards.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Mar 16 23:19:20 UTC 2006

On 03/16/2006 12:04 PM, Meatwad wrote:

>Jesse Guardiani wrote:
>

>>Steven Adeff wrote:
>>
>>>as well, don't expect a long run of any video cable to look great. You
>>>may want to look into a putting together a remote frontend or see if
>>>RokuMyth will work for you.
>>>
>>Is there actually signal loss over a digital cable? I would have thought
>>it would be all or nothing...
>>
>Yes. Of most interest to us is the capacitance element inherent in all
>multiconductor cable. This element increases as the run gets longer.
>Signal is signal be it analog or digital. Analog will decrease in
>quality as the cable run gets longer. So will digital but the reciever
>will not care that the signal is degraded - to a point. When that
>threshold is reached, the digital receiver will not sync up and simply
>stop functioning, hence the "all or nothing".

Although with video, you may get bit errors that prevent the decoding of
individual frames or blocks within your video, so you see
"artifacts"--such that the number and frequency of artifacts increases
(because of increasing number/frequency of bit erros) until the stream
is so corrupt it cannot be decoded at all.

See also
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/138046#138046 (and
the link within it) for reasons why digital is not necessarily better
than analog (and, why analog is not necessarily better than digital).
In the post, I talked about the problems with HDMI and DVI cables (= why
long runs won't work) and the article at the link within talks primarily
about component versus DVI/HDMI, but the same holds true for VGA versus
DVI/HDMI...

Mike