[mythtv-users] Firewire options with DCT 6200

Jason Yau booyau313 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 16:18:26 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm new to the list, and I have a question about the best route to go
when building my MythTV box.  I've been surfing around the web for
quite a while now, but I haven't found the specific answers to my
question...  I'd rather not buy the hardware until I'm sure it will
work as planned.

I have been reading the following guide:

MythTV, Ubuntu, Athlon64, WinTVPVR, Comcast Digital Cable, and a
pcHDTV HD-3000 in a pear tree!
(http://patrick.wagstrom.net/tutorials/mythTV64/mythTV64.xml)

Note that I would like to hook it all back up to a Sony WEGA 42" via
DVI.  I'm hoping that the Geforce will be able to output in
high-quality widescreen resolution that the TV can handle?

What I would like to do is receive the unencrypted HD channels over
Firewire, and then have MythTV channel switch over Firewire, and
receive over S-video for all other channels.  It seems like this may
be what the guide is describing, but it isn't completely clear.  Is
MythTV smart enough to handle this automatically without any
acrobatics by the end-user?

Also, if this is the way it works, then is the (expensive) pcHDTV card
necessary at all?  Isn't all of the HD signal coming over Firewire?

Thanks,
Jason