[mythtv-users] Not getting Dolby Prologic out of s/pdif

Matt skd5aner at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 03:32:53 UTC 2006

On 3/15/06, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/15/06, Matt <skd5aner at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > sounds like you don't have ALSA set up to pass AC3 signals, thus they
> > > are being sent as stereo pcm. search the list/wiki and you should find
> > > information on how to enable AC3 using .asoundrc
> > >

> > Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I do.  Here's my .asoundrc:
> >
> > Here's my .asoundrc file:
> >
> > # Override the default output used by ALSA.
> > # If you do not override the default, your default
> > # device is identical to the (unmixed) analog device
> > # shown below. If you prefer mixed and/or digital
> > # output, uncomment the appropriate four lines below
> > # (only one slave.pcm line).
> > pcm.!default {
> > type plug
> > ## Uncomment the following to use mixed analog by default
> > # slave.pcm "dmix-analog"
> > ## Uncomment the following to use unmixed digital by default
> > slave.pcm "digital-hw"
> > ## Uncomment the following to use mixed digital by default
> > #slave.pcm "dmix-digital"
> > }
>
> Here's my asoundrc file, as well I have "ALSA:digital" for my audio
> output device in MythTV...
>
> # Override the default output used by ALSA.
> # If you do not override the default, your default
> # device is identical to the (unmixed) analog device
> # shown below. If you prefer mixed and/or digital
> # output, uncomment the appropriate four lines below
> # (only one slave.pcm line).
> pcm.!default {
>  type plug
> ## Uncomment the following to use mixed analog by default
> # slave.pcm "dmix-analog"
> ## Uncomment the following to use unmixed digital by default
>  slave.pcm "digital"
> # slave.pcm "digital-hw"
> ## Uncomment the following to use mixed digital by default
> # slave.pcm "dmix-digital"
> }
>
> # Alias for analog output on the nForce2 (hw:0,0)
> # - This is identical to the device named "default"--which
> # always exists and refers to hw:0,0 (unless overridden)
> # - Therefore, we can specify "hw:0,0", "default", or "analog"
> # to access analog output on the nForce2
> pcm.analog {
>  type plug
>  slave.pcm "analog-hw"
> }
>
> # Control device (mixer, etc.) for the nForce2 card
> ctl.analog {
>  type hw
>  card 0
> }
>
> # Alias for (rate-converted) mixed analog output on the
> # nForce2 (hw:0,0)
> # - This will accept audio input--regardless of rate--and
> # convert to the rate required for the dmix plugin
> # (in this case 48000Hz)
> pcm.mixed-analog {
>  type plug
>  slave.pcm "dmix-analog"
> }
>
> # Control device (mixer, etc.) for the nForce2 card
> [...]

I copied and pasted as is, and it didn't make any difference.  I still
think the AC3 track that is being "passed through" is bogus in some
fashion.  I'm more than happy to send the recording to someone for
them to play with.  In fact, I can record a short 5 mins of any HD
track with AC3 5.1 and send it so it's not so big.  Anyone interested?

Matt