[mythtv-users] Not getting Dolby Prologic out of s/pdif

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Thu Mar 16 02:22:51 UTC 2006

Steven Adeff wrote:
> sounds like you don't have ALSA set up to pass AC3 signals, thus they
> are being sent as stereo pcm. search the list/wiki and you should find
> information on how to enable AC3 using .asoundrc

Perhaps you can advise me here.  I have ATSC HD recordings that if I
play them through mplayer with -ac hwac3, my receiver pops into Dolby
Digital mode (or whatever) and it works nice (2 ch, 5 ch, whatever), but
if I enable AC3 passthrough in Myth, I get no sound.  I have no
.asoundrc file and it seems that ALSA works fine for mplayer  with that
switch, what more does Myth need?  My normal recordings go fine to my
receiver via ALSA:default or ALSA:spdif, whatever I have set in Myth.

Kevin