[mythtv-users] PCI cards for Audio/Video for MythTV

James C. Dastrup jc at dastrup.com
Wed Mar 15 16:14:16 UTC 2006

>Hello All,
>
>I will be using a Intel Server Board that has an expansion slot layout
>like this:
>
>PCI-X 66
>
>PCI-X 66
>
>PCI 33
>
>PCI Express x4
>
>PCI 33
>
>PCI Express x16
>
>And I wanted to get comments on how to best populate the system for Myth
>TV.
>
>I suspect I would burn the PCI Express x16 on something like:
>
>XFX GeForce 6800 GS/256MB DDR3/PCI Express/SLI/DVI/VGA/TV-Out/Video Card
>
>I was looking at the Creative Labs Audigy 4 Pro card for audio (as it
>seems to have bullets for every audio format I can think of and a mess
>load of outputs/inputs) But it looks like that burns a PCI-33  slot.
>
>A PVR-500 burns a PCI-33 slot (wanted to save a PCI slot for an additional
>capture card, maybe HDTV or a second PVR-500.
>
>Anyone know of sound cards using the PCI-Express x4 (the smaller
>connector)?

I can't see any advantage of using that much bus bandwidth for audio, even
if it did exist.

>Or do the PCI-66's accept PCI 33 cards? So much to keep track up these
>days..

Generally, the newer, faster slots support the older, slower cards, BUT there
is an exception to that. Some PCI-66/133 slots support only a particular voltage,
5 or 3.3 or something like that, so you need to be sure before you buy. A sure
way to tell is look at the physical card and match up the slot keys with your
PCI slot. If the card will physically fit, then it should work. Newegg.com usually
has great detailed pictures of products.