[mythtv-users] Newbie questions, but not stupid ones (I hope)

Raphael Pooser rpooser at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 15:54:24 UTC 2006

Warren wrote:

> (2) Is there a way to watch live TV on a remote mythtv box that does not
> have a card in it - in other words, use the video capture card from the
> server to watch live TV from a remote location.  Since the front and
> back ends are separate anyway and I have /mnt/store mounted locally
> through nfs, it seems to me this should be possible, and that perhaps I
> just missed something.

I do believe it is possible.  Someone more knowledgeable than me will
tell you how.  For starters, there is a temporary file created called
ringbuf1.nuv somewhere in /var/tmp/mythtv or some folder along those
lines in /var.  That's for older versions of mythtv.  For 0.19, it
should be even easier to watch live TV on a remote machine, as the live
program is listed immediately in the recorded programs section on the
recording machine.  Now, changing channels is the hard part, but I
imagine that's possible, I just have no idea how.  In 0.19 it could be
done with a script and the telnet interface I'd imagine.
Raphael