[mythtv-users] What causes the "VIDIOC_G_FMT: Invalid Argument" error?

Beny Spensieri Jr benyjr at yahoo.ca
Wed Mar 15 15:12:50 UTC 2006

On switching to LiveTV on Myth 0.19 (I am using the TV
as my monitor and running X on it), I get a black
screen which goes back to the main menu after about 30
seconds, and mythbackend spits out the following:

Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
Error getting format
VIDIOC_G_FMT:: Invalid Argument

What is causing the above error? It is driving me
crazy.  My system has been down for about two weeks
since I upgraded.

The funny thing is that:

a) # cat /var/log/messages |grep "iTVC15 TV out" gives
no output as to the framebuffer

b) # mplayer -vo xv /tmp/test_capture.mpg and #
mplayer -vo x11 /tmp/test_capture.mpg show live TV
without sound.

c) # dd if=/dev/video0 of=/dev/video16 bs=64k gives me
sound through the television, but no picture (probably
because I am running X on it).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  If you need
any other output, let me know the command to run, and
I'll post the output here.

Thanks,

Beny