[mythtv-users] mythweb performance: windows vs. linux

Rusty McEacharn mceachrw at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 12:44:12 UTC 2006

> It seems you did not read my postings...

i read them, but did not completely understand them.

I had three problems. The first was that the all *.js files were retrieved
> for every single page. Look into the apache log file (/var/log/http/...) if
> that is the case. After I had switched between different browsers and tried
> to open the mouseovers.js file explicitly in a browser, that problem
> disappeared and the load time for a listings page dropped from 40 seconds to
> 12 seconds.

i looked in the httpd log and the entries and did see the *.js files are
being retrieved for every single page.  how do you open the *.js
explicitly?  how do you make that stick?

also note the entries in the httpd log for konquerer look the same as those
for firefox under windows.  why the difference in page load time?

The second problem was due to my high number of recording schedules. The
> program listings page retrieves extra information for every single program
> that has been set to be recorded, no matter if the program is within the
> displayed time frame or not. And I have around 200 scheduled recordings each
> week... I fixed it by commenting the following lines out of the file
> /var/www/html/mythweb/includes/programs.php:
>
> /*            elseif ($this->chanid) {
>                 unset($this->filename);
>             // Kludge to avoid redefining the object, which doesn't work
> in php5
>                 $tmp = @get_object_vars(load_one_program($this->starttime,
> $this->chanid));
>                 if (is_array($tmp) && count($tmp) > 0) {
>                     foreach ($tmp as $key => $value) {
>                         $this->$key = $value;
>                     }
>                 }
>             }*/

i thought this was a band-aid for the problem.  you used the word kludge
yourself.  it may fix the symptom but it is not the root cause.  again, why
the difference in page load time between konquerer and firefox under
windows?

The third problem is related to the recorded programs page. MythWeb still
> runs through all programs to see if their icons are missing or something
> like that. Apparently it has problems regenerating a couple of them, and
> that slows the page down. I do not use that page very much, so I have not
> looked deeper into that problem.

the channel logo icons on the listing page or the preview icons on the
recordings page?  i only have seven recordings and each has a vaild *.png.
the listings do show channel logo icons but only for one channel.  i do have
icons for some of the other channels but they are not displayed.  i wonder
why?