[mythtv-users] Not getting Dolby Prologic out of s/pdif

Bryan Bennetts bbennetts at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Mar 15 10:08:57 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I know there's been loads of posts on s/pdif & 5.1 topics, but I've been
bashing my head against this for quite a while and still am stuck :-(

I'm using the s/pdif output on my VIA 82xx sound card with success when
playing DVDs in myth-dvd, all my speakers produce sound and everything is
hunkydory.

However, when watching live tv I'm only getting the front L & R speaker
producing (not very good) sound.  I was expecting all the speakers to emit
sound in a dolby prologic stylee, or am I mad?

I have AC3 pass through set in both my Xine config and mythtv settings.

Here's the relevant (?) snippets from my .asoundrc :

pcm.!default {
  type plug
## Uncomment the following to use mixed analog by default
#  slave.pcm "dmix-analog"
## Uncomment the following to use unmixed digital by default
  slave.pcm "digital-hw"
## Uncomment the following to use mixed digital by default
#  slave.pcm "dmix-digital"
}

pcm.digital-hw {
 type hw
 card 0
 device 1
}

# Control device (mixer, etc.)
ctl.digital-hw {
 type hw
 card 0
}

Any guidance or pointers to relevant threads/docs would be greatly
appreciated.

Cheers, Bryan.