[mythtv-users] mythtv: diskless frontends/home networking

James C. Dastrup jc at dastrup.com
Tue Mar 14 18:09:10 UTC 2006

>The LCD backlight on my 1.2ghz thinkpad died a few days ago,
>so I'm going to make it into a lightweight frontend. It has an ATI
>chipset and I'm pretty sure the video out works under linux, so
>the only frontend hardware I really need to buy is an IR or RF
>remote.
>
>I'm trying to decide between diskless CF or keeping the laptop
>disk. I like the CF for heat/reliability/cost benefits, but doesn't
>LiveTV require a local spool of disk space? Or is that done
>on the backend?

I have a diskless frontend that works just fine. Not even CF - it
boots with PXE. Myth doesn't require a local spool of disk
space. It was running 100 mbit at first, and it got much much faster
after moving to gigabit. Things like the EPG, videos starting, booting
up, menus, etc. all became more responsive. I wouldn't recommend
diskless over wireless, but maybe out there has experience with it.

>The other issue is networking. I doubt wifi is a good idea as I
>already have one machine hogging wifi bandwidth and I'd like
>to be able to add 2 or 3 more diskless frontends in the future
>if necessary. I can't run Ethernet cable as it's an apartment and
>I can't go drilling holes in things. What does that leave me?
>
>Powerline networking? Does anyone have any experience with
>that sort of thing? Could it support more than 1 remote frontend?
>What's a good brand available in the USA?
>
>I only have SD right now, but I just bought an HD card and I'll
>be upgrading the backend this week, so I need to think about
>HD too. So... in general, how much bandwidth does SD/HD
>consume per frontend?

HD can use up to 20 Mbit/sec. 802.11b won't work at all,
but maybe 802.11a or g will with a very good signal and nothing
else using the wireless 'shared' bandwidth. There's been lot of
posts in the past about wireless use - search the archives.