[mythtv-users] Rebuffering considered harmful?

John Biundo johnbiundo at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 13 22:07:56 UTC 2006

Can anyone explain what myth is doing when the frontend issues a
"rebuffering (4161 32768)" type message?

After a lot of searching (including trac and gossamer), the most
revealing thing I found was a comment by Isaac indicating that these
messages are "merely debugging" messages.  Not a lot of context was
provided, so I'm still left wondering.

However, unless my eyes fool me, I'm seeing the following:

- I change channels
- mythfrontend starts spewing rebuffering messages
- playback looks "jerky" (I can characterize a *little* better if anyone
cares)
- if I pause, then restart, the rebuffering messages almost always
disappear, and the jerkiness disappears as well.  I smell some sort of
correlation.

Now this is after spending a ton of time trying to get bob deinterlace
working properly, so it's *possible* I'm imagining the quality defects,
but I'm fairly convinced to the contrary.

So can anyone shed any more light on these messages and a possible
correlation to "jerky" livetv?

Cheers,
john