[mythtv-users] bob & 800x600 - can someone test?

John Biundo johnbiundo at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 13 18:40:21 UTC 2006

Nick Bartos wrote:
> Try pausing and then playing again, and see if your cpu utilization jumps
> back up.  The more I am looking at this I think it is related.  I can
> start playing   something from the beginning and the xorg cpu utilization
> is low, but then I pause and after starting to play again, it jumps right
> back up there.

Pause and restart doesn't trigger it.

(Knock Knock Knock on wood...) my high CPU utilization problem seems to
have vanished.  I wish I could pin down the source of it, since
mysterious vanishings have a way of becoming mysterious reappearances.

On another interesting subject.  In checking this pause/restart out, I
noticed that my rebuffering messages happen at startup (initial tuning
of a channel) and channel change.  Pause/restart eliminates the
rebuffering messages.  Changing channels triggers them again, but
pause/restart cures it each time.  Curious.  I'm about to go research
whether these "rebuffering" messages are harmful or not.  Maybe my
imagination, but I was thinking I saw "jerkiness" (not interlacing
artifacts) that perhaps corresponded to the rebuffering messages.  They
seem to happen about twice/second, and I'm wondering if a rebuffer
corresponds to a dropped frame, corresponding to the jerkiness?

Also, if you're interested (Nick), I can document my current settings so
you can compare.  For starters, I'm running nvidia 7676, mythtv
0.19-fixes, ivtv 0.4.2, ubuntu 5.1 with 2.6.15 kernel, an nvidia 5200
based card, bob deinterlace, 800x600 resolution, OpenGL VSync set in
mythfrontend and nvidia-settings.  Lemme know if the relevant bits
correspond and whether you want any further details.

cheers,
john