[mythtv-users] Myth through routers

Carl Fongheiser carlfongheiser at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 17:04:14 UTC 2006

On 3/13/06, Jeff Simpson <llcooljeff at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a moderately complex network:
>
> Mythbackend/frontend (same machine, PVR-350) -- Wireless/Wired Router 1 --
> Wired DSL Router (with connection to internet) -- Wireless/Wired Router 2 --
> Other PCs
> So there are PCs on wireless/wired 1, PCs on the DSL router, and PCs on
> the other router. All the routers are the cheapo NAT routers, no real smart
> routers or anything.
> Mythbackend is statically assigned 192.168.2.150. Wireless router 1 is
> 192.168.2.1 from the backend, 192.168.1.10 from the outside.

Yikes.   That would drive me insane! :-)

The frontend is told which server to connect to for the db, but it reads the
> db to get the backend IP. How can I tell the frontend to ignore that and use
> the IP that I tell it? I tried changing the backend to use the external IP
> address, but it's starting to become a recipe for disaster (starts thinking
> that it's a slave backend, forgets what its own IP is, etc). Suggestions?

Well, my first suggestion would be to flatten out your network.  You do have
another option, though.  There's no GUI for this (that I'm aware of), but
you can add a 'MasterServerIP' row in the settings table for each of your
frontends.  That will override the global one.

Carl Fongheiser