[mythtv-users] which sound card to get?

Raphael Pooser rpooser at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 14:57:29 UTC 2006

Jesse Guardiani wrote:
> Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>

>> I find the Turtle Beach Riviera (about $25 at newegg.com) to be a great
>> card.  Optical SPDIF output and it works out of the box with almost no
>> configuration.
>>

> I'll second that. If you need optical output, the Riviera is a very nice
> card.

Good to hear that this one works.  If retrying my old Live Value with
higher PCI latency doesn't do the trick, I'll grab one of these.  That's
still going to be cheaper than getting an old refurbished audigy.  Do
you guys use this one with ALSA, or do you use this with the default in
mythtv which is /dev/dsp?  (I don't believe that /dev/dsp points to
ALSA:default; I think it is actually OSS emulation if you're using ALSA
- not sure).  Thanks for the suggestions.
Raphael