[mythtv-users] [OT] im so sorry. test.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Mar 13 14:50:14 UTC 2006

OK, how about an example.  Below is a proper reply and at bottom is the
mess I started with before cleaning it up.  Notice in the proper reply
the trimming (especially of useless Hash stuff, signatures, and the
previous mailing list footers.  Normally, I would have also trimmed the
irrelevant information--the part about not receiving own posts and
GMail, but I left it in to show a deeply-threaded reply.  Also, note the
top-down style (because that's how the English world reads):

On 03/13/2006 07:17 AM, Michael Freeman wrote:

>On 3/13/06, Kichigai Mentat <kichigai at comcast.net> wrote:

>>>Says who....I prefer top posters - I never got the concept of
>>>having to
>>>read all the way through an email to find the next addition.
>>>

>>Well, the logic is that a message is going to have a number of parts,
>>as well as a number of different people replying. The idea is that
>>you put your part of the reply where it belongs.
>>
>>Like this!
>>
>I kinda agree with Dean....maybe you just didn't put enough space in there,
>but I read that quoted text twice before noticing your "Like this" in the
>middle of it.
>That style just seems harder to read to me.

And below is the mess you get if people use multiple reply styles and
don't trim.  Do you really think it's more readable?  Regardless, the
rules of /this/ list indicate that you should not top post and you
should trim irrelevant information.  Therefore, when a new user is
introduced to the rules of the list, please don't encourage him/her to
ignore these rules.