[mythtv-users] What am I doing wrong?

Stefan Haflidason styrmis at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 13 13:08:12 UTC 2006

On 3/13/06, Gavin Band <gavinband at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> > Gavin Band wrote:

> (live or
> then

> > > Do you have DMA activated?
> > >

> > Yes I do -  hdparm reports
> >
> > > hdparm /dev/hda
> >
> > /dev/hda:
> >  multcount    = 16 (on)
> >  IO_support   =  0 (default 16-bit)
> >  unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
> >  using_dma    =  1 (on)
> >  keepsettings =  0 (off)
> >  readonly     =  0 (off)
> >  readahead    = 256 (on)
> >  geometry     = 16383/255/63, sectors = 156301488, start = 0
> >
> > Thanks,
> > gav.
> >

> *bump*
> Has anyone got any other suggestions for this problem?  I've tried
> various options with more than one version of MythTV, but always get the
> same - unwatchable TV, and a sequence of NVP: Prebuffering pauses in the
> output.
> Thanks,
> gav.

You say the backend 'works correctly'. Can you watch live tv successfully on
that machine, or do you get the prebuffering pauses irrespective of how the
frontend is connected to the backend?

Also, are you capturing at the right resolution? If I set the resolution on
my machine to 720x480 (NTSC), then I get the behaviour your describe.
Setting to 720x576 (PAL) corrects this problem.

I only have this part of the thread (though I could find it on gossamer if
need be). Have you listed your backend hardware anywhere?

A shot in the dark if you're already capturing at the right resolution for
your region: where did you buy your capture card from? I've read of one
person who saved some money by buying from Germany, and received a card that
was incompatible with his country's TV system (which was probably NTSC).

Stefan.