[mythtv-users] HD3000 setup

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Mon Mar 13 02:35:12 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 18:01 -0500, jason wrote:
> I'm getting the finishing touches set up on my new mythtv box:
> So far I'm just watching over the VGA port - DVI comes later once I move
> the system from my office to the den.  When configuring the HD3000 as a
> PCHDTV card it doesn't seem to find the digital channels, but when I
> configure it as a DVB it does.  But as a DVB it doesn't see the SD
> channels.  Do I need to configure it as two different capture cards?
You need the digital tv pcHDTV drivers from the pcHDTV web site to use
the pcHDTV (V4L) support in MythTV, then it will find digital channels
in the scan. When you use the DVB drivers (i.e. when you use the stock
kernel) you need to use the DVB card support in MythTV. In SVN there is
a button in the DVB card setup called "Analog Options", this allows you
to configure the analog side of the card.

The pcHDTV V4L support is mostly for the benefit of owners of the
pcHDTV HD-2000 card. Since the HD-3000 is now well supported by
the DVB drivers.

> Also, when watching the HD channels the load goes up to about 1.3 and it's
> stuttering badly, dropping every other frame.  Is the Athlon not powerful
> enough to be FE and BE?
It is not powerful enough to work as a MythTV frontend, we recommend
3Ghz for HDTV decoding, though you may have some luck with 2Ghz+.
It is possible to record with MythTV and then watch the recording
using Xine or mplayer w/XvMC support. For that scenario you would
want to use the mythrename.pl script in the contrib directory.

-- Daniel