[mythtv-users] Upgrading to 0.19 for lazy n00bs?

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Sun Mar 12 22:35:26 UTC 2006

Kichigai Mentat wrote:
> I'll be honest, I'm a lazy n00b: I can make a Linux machine work for
> me, but I couldn't get MythTV to compile to save my life. Whenever I
> ask for debian-centric advice, I'm pointed to the non-existent Malrait
> Debs. So I've come to rely on KnoppMyth.
>
> Now 0.19 is out, and there's some nifty little upgrades I'd like to
> get my hands on (Like MythWiFi for example), but no new KnoppMyth
> version. I've also heard that there are some annoying bugs in 0.19.
> I'm wondering, is an upgrade from 0.18.2 to 0.19 worth the problems,
> and are there any pre-fab'd Myth installers (similar to KnoppMyth,
> though I'm willing to try a non-Debian distro for once)? Or should I
> just wait a while?

MythDora is probably the best.  Whatever you do, I'd suggest making sure
the distribution includes the latest 0.19-fixes branch if you must have
a preinstalled/prepackaged distribution.  There are a number of critical
fixes there that address the issues with 0.19.   I don't know of many
real big problems outside of the stuff fixed in 0.19-fixes.

Kevin