[mythtv-users] New DVD Drive not working under Myth

R rawgarlic at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 22:01:27 UTC 2006

(I already have an internal CDROM drive in the MythTV box.)

Just attached an External USB Emprex DVD+-R/RW Writer to the MythTV box.
Model: DVDRW 1108UI/UB
Product Details at: http://www.emprex.com/02_products_02.php?id=24

I noticed that at boot time it shows up as /dev/scd0
So at the command prompt, "eject /dev/scd0" works everytime.

Accordingly, under
Utilities/Setup->Setup->DVD Settings-> General Settings
I set the
Location of DVD Device: /dev/scd0

Then I selected
Optical Disks->Play DVD
and nothing happens

So I tried
Optical Disks->Import DVD
It says
"No Jobs.  Checking and/or waiting for DVD"
and nothing happens

I swapped various DVDs, home movies, rentals, etc.
I get the same results.

I know this DVD drive works because I shutdown the MythTV box.
Unplug the USB cable.  Connected the USB cable to a Windows PC.
Started up the Windows PC and it works.  I can see DVDs, hear CDs, etc.
Shutdown the Windows PC.  Unplug the USB cable from the Windows PC.
Conneted the USB cable back to the MythTV box and booted the MythTV box.
Same problems.

I'm stuck.  Please help.