[mythtv-users] AFD Error: Unknown decoding error

Osma Ahvenlampi oa at iki.fi
Sun Mar 12 21:04:59 UTC 2006

> > On 29th January 2006, oa at iki wrote:
> >  Another problem I've got since upgrading from 0.18 to SVN, is a
> > repeating "AFD Error: unknown decoding error" that seems to
> > sometimes crash mythbackend and sometimes cause mythtranscode to eat
> > upwards of half a gig of memory and throw my myth box into a swap
> > hell.

> On ma, 2006-03-06 at 02:25 +0000, Tim Davis wrote:
> I've seen similar problems since upgrading to 0.19, even though I get
> a decent DVB signal. Changing from libmpeg2 to ffmpeg for decoding has
> fixed it. I'd rather use libmpeg2 though as it uses less cpu.

Thanks - ffmpeg codec does work a bit better. It doesn't eliminate the
problem entirely (or mythtranscode uses some other setting for choosing
the codec than the Playback frontend settings), as I still see problems
with transcodes that look like memory leakage. Frontend playback is
better, and the backend process seems to be more stable.

--
Osma Ahvenlampi   <oa at iki.fi>    http://www.fishpool.org