[mythtv-users] Searching for music hangs

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sun Mar 12 18:35:55 UTC 2006

On Mar 12, 2006, at 1:24 PM, Brian Fischer wrote:

> I have a collection of live music and CDs that is around 300GB.  I
> am having
> trouble getting mythmusic to cooperate with this.  All of the music
> is in a
> single directory /myth/music/
>
> I started mythfrontend in a ssh window from the command line.  The
> "searching for music" prompt ran for about 4.5 hours, then the line
> "Killed"
> appeared in the shell and mythfrontend exited.
>
> A few questions:
> 1. I know that this might cause an issue, but does linux/mythtv
> have issues
> with a large number of folders (>1000) in a single directory?
>
> 2. Is mythmusic capable of scaling to such a large number of
> files?  If not,
> what could I do to help?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian
>
> mythmusic-0.19-121.rhfc3.at

I have a big collection as well, but they're grouped into folders by
artist/album. Might try mv'ing a* to an "a" directory, b* to a "b"
directory, etc and see if that helps. It sounds like you might be
running out of memory. Only way to know for sure would be to run an
strace on the process or monitor lsof and memory usage as it's running.

You really have 300GB of mp3's just shoved into a single directory?
Yikes.