[mythtv-users] NFS + 3ware = slow

Mark Lehrer mark at knm.org
Sun Mar 12 18:10:05 UTC 2006

> I just got a 3ware 7506-4 based on recommendation from this group.
> I'm having problems with writing to the RAID-5 array over NFS.
> Here's some averaged samples using the cp command:

You are just running into general Linux NFS suckiness.  RAID 5 is
quite speedy unless you are re-writing part of a file (e.g. swap or a
database)... cp performs quite well.  RAID 5 is ideal for storing
video & music files.  I have been using NFS on my 3ware 7810 for quite
awhile now and it's great.

However, I mount read-only and scp files from client back to server
when necessary.  I guess I am just a crusty old Linux user who has
never trusted its NFS write performance.  On the other hand, I have
some Ubuntu servers at work that run NFS writes at wire speed (100mb,
trying gigabit soon).  I use these options: tcp,nfsvers=3

I'll try to mount my 3ware rw and see what happens.

Mark